Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Gratitude Attitude

Lately my kids have been struggling with having a "gratitude attitude" (if you're at all familiar with "Bright" then you know what I'm talking about)

So for our family home evening on Monday I wanted to help our kids develop a "gratitude attitude." And, since I don't have any decorations to celebrate the coming of spring, I "killed two birds with one stone."

They made this cute little flower garland (since one of the things I'm grateful for is beautiful flowers). I gave Rylee and Cole five circles in different colors and they wrote five things that they are grateful for.

Cole's List:
1. Flowers
2. Heavenly Father
3. Family
4. Friends
5. Jesus

Justin helped Cole with his list a little bit since he's pretty young, but Rylee came up with her list all on her own.

Rylee's List:
1. Water that makes the grass grow
2. Doing chores (she's little, she doesn't know that chores aren't fun yet.
3. The Visitors Center (she said more specifically the statue of Christ)
4. Jesus heals people (she recently said a prayer for me because I was sick and she believes that Jesus heals me since now I'm feeling better. I think she's right.)
5. Making a lot of friends

After we were done writing what they were grateful for on the circles, they pasted the circles in the middle of their flowers. Rylee liked her colors to be mis-matched and Cole liked his to match. It made for a perfect pattern on our garland.

We hung the garland up so it's the first thing they see when they come down stairs or walk in the door when we go places. Whenever they get to complaining too much they can be reminded of the things that make them happy and hopefully develop a stronger "gratitude attitude!"
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Marci said...

That is such a fun idea! Turned out cute.

Mark Myrrissa said...

You are such a great mom Trina, and for remember the Brite songs. Great ideas. love you!!

Mandy said...

Wow! What a great idea! In a few years, we may copy you!

Dale & Lynn Leishman said...

Great FHE!! You are so creative! And seeing those flowers every day will be such a good reminder. I love the kids things they are grateful for!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online