Friday, April 10, 2009

Maybe I CAN do it!

I have always been an admirer of those who can create. I, on the other hand, do not have a crafty nor creative bone in my body. Don't get me wrong, I have created some pretty crafty things, but nothing is ever an original. I am the queen of copy cat!

Recently, I decided that I should know how to sew and make clothing and other cute things for my kids. I have put real effort into both learning and liking it and here is my conclusion . . . I hate to sew! I tried to like it, I really did! But, alas, it can't be forced. But in the process of learning, I did make one thing that I'm pretty proud of. My mom helped me to cut out the pieces for this dress and get ready for sewing, and then my mother-in-law walked me through it, step-by-step. I am so grateful for their patience and effort in my desire to learn a new skill. In the end, I decided to never make clothing again, but I'm kinda proud of how well this dress turned out! Rylee picked out the fabric and I picked the sparkly ribbon (which i love) for the middle. I actually finished this last summer but never got around to posting it. It is obviously too big for her to wear and still needs buttons in the back. But, when she grows into it I think it will be cute with a little cardigan or something.

More recently, I took on another project, much smaller than the dress.

Since Gracie likes to take my slips out of my drawer to wrap around her neck and head (and because I keep finding said clothing all over the house, mostly in her room) I decided she needs to have a silky of her own. So, for Easter, I made her a silky blanket! It only took me two hours from start to finish (I know, all you crafty people can have a good laugh at me) but not too bad overall. Most of that time was spent trying to figure out how to make the corners not look ridiculous! As long as you don't take a real close look, I think it turned out pretty good! Yay for me!


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Barnes Blog said...

I am extremely impressed. I have never made a dress before and profess to know how to sew...I am apparently a fraud. I love the blanket!

Mandy said...

Great Job! In my opinion, blankets are much easier than clothing! I am attempting a quilt through our enrichment groups...you have inspired me to be brave enough to post about it!

Michelle & Matt's Clan said...

So cute! I hate to sew too. I think it's the constant editing, pulling this stitch or these 100 stitches out and sewing again. Oh well, I don't mind editing on paper.

Dale & Lynn Leishman said...

Cute blanket, and good job on the dress. i am proud of you for tackling new things even if you don't like them!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online